Just because you’re vegan doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be able to enjoy a classic like these. This recipe is so super easy, but it is still amazing and tasty, and perfect for a St. Patty’s Day party! This takes a maximum of 20 minutes, so you have plenty of time to make them and prepare the rest of your party. They can also be prepared the night before if needed. There’s two recipes in this post, plus if you check the recipe notes it explains how to make em boozy for a less family friendly St. Patty’s day party. For this recipe I used my all time favorite vegan ice cream brand, Nadamoo! I buy mine from Lucky’s market but it is also available in Whole Foods. I think they make the best vegan ice creams, but you can use what you find near you.
Ingredients (serves 2-4: two large shakes or 4 small):
For the vanilla mint shakes:
2 pints vegan vanilla bean flavored ice cream (I used NadaMoo Vanilahhh)
3/4 tsp peppermint extract
1 1/2 cup soy milk
few drops vegan green food coloring (about 1/8-1/4 tsp, mattering on how green you want it)
2 tsp agave
For the mint chocolate chip shakes* (see notes):
2 pints vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream (I used NadaMoo Lotta Mint Chip)
1 1/2 cup soy milk
an extra 1/4 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
few drops vegan green food coloring
Optional: 1/4-1/3 cup vodka (regular, or vanilla or mint flavored)
Vegan green sprinkles (some include bee products so watch for those!)
Vegan mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy life)
Vegan whip cream (you can use cocowhip, ricewhip, or I like to use “TruWhip Vegan” which tastes just like cool whip)
Fresh mint for garnish
- Add all the ingredients for whichever blend you choose to the blender. Start off with just 1/2 tsp peppermint extract, and add the other 1/4 tsp if needed. Also, start with just a few drops of coloring and you can mix in more to get the perfect color.
- Blend all the ingredients until creamy! That’s it. Really it’s so easy. So go make em!
- You can store this in the freezer over night if you want to make them a day ahead. About a half hour before your event, transfer them to the fridge. Quickly mix with a spoon before serving. Top with vegan whip cream, green sprinkles, and chocolate chips and enjoy!
- If you can’t find vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream near you, go with the vanilla mint recipe, but add 1/8-1/4 cup vegan mini chocolate chips. The chocolate chip shakes will come out to be a similar texture to a java chip frappuccino.
- To make these shakes more appropriate for an adult party, blend in 1/3-1/4 cup vodka and serve right away. The shake recipe is made to serve two large, family friendly shakes. Blending in the vodka will make 4 smaller boozy shakes.