The vegan dog trend is skyrocketing, and while a lot of pet parents are weary wether this is healthy for animals that would naturally be hunters or scavengers, most pet parents can agree that the ingredients in most dog treats (and a lot of dog kibbles) aren’t that healthy either! So wether your dog is vegan or not, try opting for these healthier treat alternatives after a successful walk that your pup is sure to love. My non-vegan dog gobbles these down, and they’re made with healthy ingredients I can feel good about feeding him.
You will need:
1 cup Oats
1/4 cup Apple, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup Sweet Potatoes or Carrots, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup Peanut butter (it’s better to use something with less oils and added sugar and salt, I used Just Peanuts! brand which is literally just peanuts, but feel free to use whatever you have or buy for yourself)
1-3 tbsp Coconut oil
(Makes about 20 treats)
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grind oats in your blender or food processor until they resemble flour. Oat flour is more nutritious than all purpose or whole wheat, and great when a lot of dogs are sensitive to wheat.
- Steam apple and sweet potato or carrots until all are tender and easily pierced with a fork, about 5-10 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in blender until just combined and press into a ball. Start with 1 tbsp coconut oil and add more to combine the mixture. How much coconut oil you need will depend on what kind of peanut butter you use.
- Roll out dough on parchment paper to about 1/4 inch thick, and cut into desired shapes
- Place treats on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown. They should look dry when they come out of the oven, resembling “biscuit” style dog treats. My pup loves these!
- Store in an airtight container. In an airtight container they will last 1-2 weeks, and then you can store any extras in the freezer for 3 months. Your pup may like these straight out of the freezer, or you can thaw them for a few minutes before giving as a treat.
2 thoughts on “Homemade Vegan Dog Treats”
It looks like I can eat the doggy treats
LikeLiked by 1 person